Wednesday 9 May 2012

Trimethylxanthine

Is it just me?


Or is it rather peculiar how we dream of nothing but boredom when we're on our feet all day,


but start counting down the hours until we are able to do SOMETHING when we're in the midst of being blissfully bored?


Curious ain't it?








How we crave boredom, but the moment we are granted that wish, 


we sigh at the mere thought of doing absolutely nothing.


Enough of my holiday analysis, let's get down to business.


I have a very low tolerance for caffeine (also known as trimethylxanthine).


Meaning that I cannot drink coffee or tea after about 5 o'clock because it'll leave me tossing and turning all night long.


Here's what wikipedia has to say about caffeine:


Caffeine is a central nervous system and metabolic stimulant and is used both recreationally and medically to reduce physical fatigue and to restore alertness when drowsiness occurs. It produces increased wakefulness, faster and clearer flow of thought, increased focus, and better general body coordination. The amount of caffeine needed to produce effects varies from person to person, depending on body size and degree of tolerance


There's the reason to my problem.


Especially since I'm puny and judging from my lifelong observation, have a very low degree of tolerance.


This is what happens when I have absolutely nothing to think about at night.










The only solutions for this are:


1. Don't drink coffee or tea after 5.


OR


2. Drink decaffeinated stuff.


However, sometimes I choose not to play by the rules.


That's when I start to regret my decision at 3 o'clock in the morning and realise that there's nothing better to do than to count the hours until I fall asleep due to boredom.


AND that adds to my problem with boredom.


Now you see how this vicious cycle unfolds.



No comments:

Post a Comment